Monday, February 20, 2012

A jar full of labels

Yesterday was our first look at snowflakes this season, but they were few and short-lived. Our winter has been quite mild here in the South, and that suits me just fine. I already have "spring fever", with some absolutely gorgeous days warming our bones several days this past week.  It has given me the itch to put out some of my light and airy pieces here in my home.

  Several months ago those wonderful gypsy girls showed an idea for decorating tall glass jars with labels.  I had some fun making mine from all kinds of labels I found in my travels.



I took a styrofoam disk that would fit in the bottom of my jar and covered it with some of my favorite paper and ribbons.  Then I stamped and wrote messages on my labels and attached them to funky wire twirls, standing at different heights inside the jar.  I sometimes leave this out on my kitchen table, so I tried to arrange the labels so that I could read them from all sides.  This was a really easy project, one that could be changed for different seasons.




For my handmade wire holders, I used floral wire that had some thickness. Some of our local stores have all sizes and shapes of these kinds of jars, and they are reasonably priced.  Wouldn't it be fun to do a grouping of them?  


Have you heard that Martha Stewart has teamed up with STAPLES for a fantastic line of office supplies, including every kind of label imaginable?  Here are even more new and exciting possibilities!  I just adore using office supplies in my art and in my life. Our local STAPLES has a huge display of all these goodies.  I bought a few already, and know I will be back for more.


The old groundhog did see his shadow just a few weeks ago,  but I'm still hoping for an early spring.  If not outside, I can surely have it inside!  Have a sunny week.






1 comment:

kristi said...

Visiting your blog is such a breath of fresh air, Baby Jane! LOVE the apothecary jar filled with such beautiful sentiments. You've inspired my week and I thank you so much.