Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hello November


While waving goodbye to October, I'm still enjoying the "pumpkin theme" in my fabric creations.  This afternoon I pulled out my great little needle felting machine and started turning my wool sheep into a "woolier" guy... even standing on wooly grass, too!  I have some flowers to hand-stitch before he is finished.  I think this little guy will be framed and kept out throughout the harvest and Thanksgiving season.  

The last few days have been so stressful, as we watch the aftermath of the "monster storm" Sandy.  We were so lucky here in our area to have no real problems except some gusty, cold winds. I was holding my breath that the power would stay on, and thankfully it only flickered a couple of times.  My heart goes out to those not so fortunate, to those who lost so much.

While being glued to the coverage of the storm and last-minite election news, I felt the need to break the tension and spend some time tidying my fabrics. I "try" so hard to stay organized with my art stash.  The organization thing is definitely a work-in-progress for me.  I have tried so many different ideas.  One thing I know for sure... if you can't find it, you can't use it!  

I had a very large chest of drawers in my art studio, where I stashed most of my textiles.  The problem with that "cavernous" piece was that my fabrics got "lost" in those huge drawers.  I couldn't really see what I had.  When I took everything out, I found fabrics I hadn't seen in forever.  I have so many fat quarters and small pieces... oh, how to arrange them so that I could really see them???  I came up with the idea of rolling them and standing them on end in some fun suitcases and hat boxes.



Love this "shabby chic" box... complete with a great way to label the contents.


I adore looking at and working with wool... 



Hatboxes were the perfect way to "house" the many fat quarter pieces I have accumulated.









I don't have as many of the velvets, silks and organza pieces... but they look so lush inside this fun, little case.

Tying on some tags helps me know the contents without having to open every one!


Even my wooly yarns found a new home... tucked inside a sweet little vintage green suitcase.



Some of my blogging friends are beginning this month by sharing things they are grateful for.  I think gratitude is such a therapeutic practice... a real road toward peace... at least I have found that to be true in my own life.  

I am truly thankful to have made it through a stormy few days, safely tucked inside my beloved nest with my boys.  I am so grateful that my parents are safe and sound as well.  

Don't forget to "fall back" this weekend!  Won't that extra hour of snoozing be great???  Enjoy!


No comments: